Caring for hair extensions is a little different to caring for your normal hair. You have to follow the after care tips from your salon very carefully, otherwise they will not last as long as they should, which is rather a waste of time and money. Taking care of your hair extensions will not give you a lot of extra work. Here are just a few tips that will help to keep your extensions and your hair in a better condition.
Keep your hair clean. Hair tangles when dirt and sweat build up, wash your hair after exercise, swimming etc. Brush your hair and remove all tangles before washing it. Wash your hair going in a downward motion. Use a good quality shampoo . When using hair conditioner, Tie your extensions in a low pony tail and use the microring as a guideline. Do not go higher than the microring as this will cause the bonds to weaken.
- When brushing use a soft bristle brush, start at the ends of your hair and gently work your way up.
- Always brush in a downward motion.
- Do not brush harshly.
- Brush your hair 2 or 3 times a day.
- Heat is your one of your hair’s biggest enemy, the more you use it, the shorter your hair extensions will last.
- Be careful with the use of blowdryers and curling irons.
- Wear a cap when swimming or keep your hair out of the water. Chlorine and salt water can cause the hair to tangle and mat up.
- It is recommended to wear your hair up or in a ponytail when you swim or exercise.
Never sleep on wet hair, make sure your hair is completely dry before you go to bed. It is also recommended to wrap your hair together or gently tie it up to prevent tangling.
Hair care products:
- Use a good (leave-in) conditioner to keep your hair soft. Don’t over do it. To much conditioner or any other hair care product can cause a build up and tangling.
- Avoid hair products that contain alcohol. Alcohol makes hair dry.
- Use clear clariyfying shampoo once a week, and for the rest of the week some Sulphate and Parabeen free shampoo.
- Once a week use a treatment on your extensions.
Don’t perm, color or any other chemical process to your own hair extensions. Let your hairdresser take care of that.